Monday, September 21, 2009

Radenska Classic

I am not an expert on any of the beverage styles that I review here. I know a bit about beer, I guess, and maybe regular colas, but that's about it.


Waters, though, of all the categories, have me most concerned. How, with my so-so palate, do I discern differences in waters? What is a good tasting water? There are experts out there, but I wanted to rely on my own impressions for this blog.

So, for $3, I picked up a 1.5 liter bottle of naturally sparkling mineral water. From Slovenia. Called Radenska Classic. Apparently, the three hearts logo is well known throughout Europe.

And, Radenci, a town in northeast Slovenia, is very famous for its natural spas. Having tried the water from Hot Springs, Arkansas, and finding it to be quite tasty, I figured this water would be different enough from regular bottled water to be a reasonable place to start.

Presentation/Appearance - 7/10 It looks like...water. But it comes in this distinctive tall recyclable plastic bottle. I can easily fit this in a refrigerator. Its height might be an issue for some spaces, but it is no taller than a wine or beer bottle. Compared to fat bottomed juice bottles, this is a welcome style.

Nose/Aroma - 6/10 Clean, with no chemical smells. However, I'm not smelling anything earthy or minerally. No limestone or stone of any kind in the nose.

Taste/Flavor - 7/10 Mild effervescence. Now the stony cleanness comes through in the taste, very strong. No added carbonation to ruin it, either. This is a refreshing water. It isn't one you would guzzle after extended physical activity. Drink it at your leisure.

Finish/Satisfaction - 8/10 The finish is long for this water, with a calcium powder finish. A dry water? Yeah, I think so.

Overall - 7.15/10 More than a serviceable replacement for soft drinks, tonics, and club sodas. The Radenska website recommends using this as a mixer, not just with cocktails, but also to cut the strength of juices. That sounds like a sound recommendation.

A fine start to the line of waters. They won't all be this good. I've noticed that all of the drinks have been above average so far. That makes sense. I have to start with what I've purchased, and, with the exception of a sentimental Yoo-hoo selection, I've tried to purposely sample things that I expect to be fairly decent.

In other words, I promise to review some bad stuff soon.

Any recommendations?

0 Comments: